Sunday, September 03, 2006

September 3, 2006 – a follow-up

This afternoon I spent about two hours in the Internet café sending out emails to groups and individuals. In a big mass email (of which you may have been the recipient) I mentioned that I’m feeling pretty forgotten since I’ve been down here. I haven’t heard much, if anything, from most people, and so I sent out a guilt-inducing plea asking for more correspondence. I feel justified in this request as I could point to a few folks who I really thought would do a better job staying in touch and haven’t (not mentioning any names on this very public forum).

As I mentioned in this email, I’m here in South America away from everything and everyone I know. I live with a host family I understand about half the time, and in whose presence I tend to feel too self-conscious (or tired) to really engage in extensive conversation, and the only friends I have are those I’ve made over the past month (the closest of which went home on Friday). All of this was my choice, and I’m really glad I made it, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t hope for more support from loved ones.

Ok, so all that was in my head as I walked home. I was feeling kind of lonely and dejected. I hadn’t heard from Jon since Friday night, so even my own husband was too busy to email. Anyway, as I turned a corner nearing my house, a little girl ran quickly by me, turned and yelled “¡Hola!” which I reciprocated with the same and a smile. She kept on running but then stopped and returned to me. She held out a hair clip that she had been wearing – pretty with rhinestones, she had a set – and said it was a present for me. I protested and said it was hers and she didn’t need to give it away, but she insisted. It was such a tiny gesture, but so meaningful for me. I’d had feelings of being an outsider here and forgotten at home, but this little girl who’d I’d never seen before was able to cheer me up with her little gift.

I don’t exactly know the lesson here, but I’m sure there is one. Should I go easier on people? Yes I’m sure. Should I keep my expectations and disappointment in check? Absolutely. Should I be more forgiving as I’m sure I’ve let people down in the past with my absentee friendship? Definitely. I don’t know. Mostly I’m just thankful for that little girl who didn’t know it, but went a long way to cheer me up this afternoon. But would I still like more email? You betcha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home